The September issue is my 25th as publisher and editor of this publication, and it feels like a fitting moment to reflect on the transformations that have taken place over the last two and a half years.
Since early 2016 we have:
- Reinvented the “Studio Visit” series and launched two other series of features: “Meet Your Makers” profiles, and the “Field Report” series that has so far taken us to arts destinations like Aspen; Marfa; Austin; Naoshima, Japan; and Las Vegas, New Mexico.
- Increased coverage of Albuquerque, Taos, and other cities in New Mexico by 48%.
- Increased coverage of arts outside of the state by 30%.
- Launched the publication’s first comprehensive digital platform that features content along with an online arts calendar, directory of arts related organizations and businesses, and a community classifieds page.
- Increased our subscriber base by 152%.
- Grown our Facebook community by 68%.
- Grown our Instagram community from 0 to 1,700.
- Completely redesigned the look and feel of the publication and its branding.
- Hired a managing editor and added a number of new regular contributors to our team.
As we change and grow, I keep three guiding principles in mind for The:
- To create intentional, inclusive, honest, and critical dialogue about contemporary arts and culture in New Mexico.
- To better represent New Mexico arts within our own community and to the rest of the world.
- To contribute to and propel forward a sustainable arts ecosystem in New Mexico.
I’m proud of and grateful for the great strides we’ve made so far, and there is still much work to do! We are striving to broaden our reach, create more opportunities for artists and writers, and to be a more responsive, diverse voice for the arts in our state and region.
If our mission resonates with you, please consider supporting us by becoming a paid subscriber, a paid member of our website, or just hitting reply and letting us know what you’d like to see next from The Magazine!
publisher + editor
things I’m up to this week:
cause I’m supporting
New Mexico School for the Arts. The Magazine is a proud sponsor of NMSA, which produces impressive young artists, performers, dancers, musicians, and writers year after year. We can’t wait to see their new campus! You can follow their new home’s progress and contribute at buildnmsa.org.
who I’m following
Santa Fe Found’s Insta account @santafefound features local emerging makers, creators, and entrepreneurs worth keeping an eye on.
what I’m looking forward to
The Paseo Taos outdoor art festival. The Paseo will bring installation, performances, and projection art to the streets of downtown Taos September 14-15. Find a map of all the installation locations online at paseoproject.org.
what’s up next at The Magazine
Beginning later this fall, The Magazine will publish a thematic section in every other issue that is dedicated to exploring a topic or issue from multiple angles. Look out for the first section on Public Art in November!