The Roswell Museum and Art Center in Roswell, New Mexico is seeking a Museum Preparator.
SUMMARY: This is specialized work supporting the Museum’s curatorial staff in the preparation, installation, and deinstallation of exhibitions. Under general supervision of the registrar, work requires a considerable amount of independent judgment and is performed in accordance with professional museum standards and practices as well as the Museum’s operating policies and procedures.
• Prepare pre-exhibition gallery preparation including cleaning, spackling, and painting.
• Prepare shipping crates and exhibit furniture including panels, pedestals, vitrines (plexiglass cases), and fixtures/mounts for the installation of exhibitions objects.
• Assist the curatorial staff in the transport and/or receipt, unpacking, moving, installation, removal, and subsequent repacking of exhibitions as required.
• Prepare collection objects for exhibition and installation to include cleaning, matting, and framing according to established policies and standards.
• Assist in the preparation of material in support of an exhibition including object labels and interpretive text panels.
• Assist in the maintenance of gallery displays.
• Maintain the workshop area including cleaning and the organization and ordering of supplies and materials.
• Perform related work as required.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Roswell and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Serves as backup for front desk security staff coverage as needed.