Phoenix Art Museum is looking for a Preparator to work closely with staff to execute all aspects of preparing exhibitions on time for scheduled opening dates. Other responsibilities include supporting the registration department in collections management efforts. This position requires attention to detail to maintain the safety of art objects, uphold high standards of exhibition quality, and must prioritize safety and communication and is solution-oriented.
1. Safely pack, unpack, load, and transport works of art according to art handling best practices.
2. Prepare exhibitions from start to finish. This includes gallery preparation such as building temporary walls, painting, fabricating displays, mounts, and exhibition furniture, installing artwork, lighting, mounting label copy, etc.
3. Routine gallery maintenance three times per week includes dusting, replacing light bulbs, cleaning displays, and touching up walls and platforms as necessary.
4. Routine storage maintenance to ensure the safety of art objects in vaults as well as efficient use of space for storing exhibition furniture, crates, building materials etc.
5. Prepare art objects for display, including framing prints and drawings, building mounts etc.
6. Maintenance to ensure the safety and tidiness of the preparator’s shop, including keeping tools and hardware organized, upkeep of machines, sweeping, moving sheet goods and lumber etc.
7. Take direction from registrars regarding object sensitivities and requirements.
8. Communicate effectively with other preparators, contractors, or any other individuals while working to ensure personal safety and maintain art handling best practices.
For a complete listing of qualifications, please visit our website at https://phxart.org/get-involved/careers/